Starting Lesson 2 -- Voice & Point of View


Here's what you should learn this lesson:
  • Voice can be seen in two ways: the voice of characters, and the voice of the author.  Both concepts carry their own sense of importance.
  • Point of view is really the vocal footprint of the speaker in your writing.  It answers this question: from where does this voice come?  Point of view is seen in three ways: First person, utilizing the "I" speaker, Second person bring in an imagined "you", and finally Third person, a remote speaker that repors from the perspective of certain players.
This topic definitely helps me with my blog.  Everyone needs their on voice and I'm working on finding mine.

Lesson Objectives
By the end of this lesson you should be able to:
  • Demonstrate honest, genuine, precise writing about your life.
  • Determine first, second and third person points of view.
  • Depict past and present tense.
  • Discuss the notion of "voice" as it relates to characters and the author.
First and third person are pretty easy for me to do.  Once I try writing in the second person I seem to forget how to write.  The tenses are easy too, when I pay attention.  If I just start writing then I tend to switch from past to present.  I'm trying to get better at catching it.


----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1. Creative Writing Assignment ~ Topic: Point of View (50 points - 750 words).  Start with this single fact: A dog has been hit by a car.  Now write about the incident from three different perspectives: first, second, and third person.  What's important in each exercise is to stick with the assigned point of view.  Each exapmple will be about one page of writing in standard format.

a. 250 words in first person - Start with: "I saw..."
b. 250 words in second person - Start with: "You won't believe..."
c. 250 words in third person - Start with: "The dog..."

Once my assignment is graded I will post my stories along with my grade I get.  Until then, you must wait!

Kaitlin

3 comments on "Starting Lesson 2 -- Voice & Point of View"

Honey B. wrote: January 31, 2010 at 1:33 PM

Looking forward to reading your stories!


Ashley wrote: February 1, 2010 at 6:38 AM

I've still yet to find my voice. It sounds so easy, but is quite the opposite.


Holly wrote: February 1, 2010 at 2:57 PM

where are the stories?!? lol you know I want to read them! Especially the 2nd person one!


Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by! :)

Twitter Goodreads RSS Email