Precious

Well, I today I watched the movie Precious; which is based off a novel called Push by Sapphire.  I have not read Push, but I am thinking about it.


I'm not sure if any of you have seen this, but this poor girl is treated awful by everyone around her. Her mother, father, people at school, people on the street.  It really seems as if she has nowhere to turn and I feel awful for her; my heart went out to her.  Do you ever feel that way while watching a movie?  I know I do.  (I felt the same way for Michael Oher (Big Mike) in The Blind Side; which I also watched today.  Great movie, watch it!)

I absolutely could not understand the way Precious's mother treated her!  The things she yelled were just awful!  She threw things at her; glass jars, swung a pan at her head, a flower pot at her back and even tried dropping a television on her and her newborn babys head!

I should have gotten an abortion.  You're worthless.  I knew right when the doctor handed you to me that you were worthless.  You're fat.  You're so fucking stupid. 

Her mother even said something along the lines of: You fucked my man and had kids with him, how dare you!  The man that Precious so called fucked was her own father.  Her flesh and blood.  The man raped her.  And he had been since she was three years old.  Her mother knew all along and did nothing to stop it.  I don't understand how something goes on like that and you do nothing!

Her mother didn't care about her going to school to get an education.  All she wanted her for was her welfare check.  Precious's mother used her own mother and granddaughter as a reason to get more money from welfare.

This sounds like something to should be added into Busted Kate's categoy of "And Yet THESE People Can Procreate".  I will never be like this woman. EVER.

Kaitlin

5 comments on "Precious"

Anonymous wrote: January 30, 2010 at 6:47 PM

I haven't watched the movie or read the book but her story sounds much like the stories of the kids I worked with in foster care. Most mothers didn't believe their kids when they were sexually abused and they blamed the teen girl if she was the one making allegations. It made me sick and makes me sick now.


Honey B. wrote: January 30, 2010 at 10:56 PM

I can't even fathom that. Wow.


Kell wrote: January 30, 2010 at 11:49 PM

I've been wanting to see this movie so badly. So badly. And you just convinced me even more to watch it!


Three Cats and a Baby wrote: January 31, 2010 at 7:06 AM

So sad. We have this movie on our netflix list. I know it's going to be hard for me to watch when it comes.


Anonymous wrote: January 31, 2010 at 11:08 AM

Wow! I can't even imagine treating my child or even a complete stranger like that! I know that it's a good movie, but I'm not sure I could sit through!


Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by! :)

Twitter Goodreads RSS Email