I Want To Be A Creative Writer

Last week I got a sudden urge to take a writing class of some sort.  So I talked it over with Hubs and his response was; "I think it's a great idea.  If you'll actually do it."  I have a bad habit of signing up for a class or deciding to take a class and not going through with it, so I know where he was coming from.  I told him that I wanted to do it to help my blogging.  "I figured as much.  I don't care what you do as long as you do it.  I'll support you."  I know he supports me, but it's a great thing to hear.



So Friday I searched all of my local communitity colleges to see which ones had an open creative writing course.  There was only one school that had any openings for CRW150 (Introduction to Creative Writing), Rio Salado College.  To me, Rio Salado has never seemed like a real school to me.  But I decided to give it a chance, because I really wanted to take this writing class.  Once I found the class on RSC, I decided to go for it and sign up.


I'm want to blog about the different lessons I do for this class as I go through it (hopefully).  I think that's going to make it easier and more fun for me.  And I'll definitely get to see how I progress throughout the class.  Hopefully you enjoy it too!

Yesterday I printed out my syllabus and first lesson (Creative Writing and the Imagination).  I wanted to share a few things that I liked from my syllabus.

Hints for Success:
First, enjoy your creativity.
Second, give yourself enough time to do that.

Remember: Writing takes time.  You can't rush it.  Some of that time is spent staring out a window.  Then there's drafting, and more staring.  Lots of thinking and self exploration goes into it.

Kaitlin

10 comments on "I Want To Be A Creative Writer"

Mommy Boots (formerly KarmaPearl) wrote: January 14, 2010 at 12:57 PM

You should check out Helium.com

It's a really great resource for writers. It doesn't offer any classes or anything like that, but there are so many different categories you can write short stories and articles in; it really helps get the creative juices flowing. I once wrote a humorous article about coffee - I just tackled it as a challenge to myself to write something funny about coffee. You can actually get paid for writing articles, too - I sold one of mine for $5.00.

My pen name there is N.A. Green ... Check me out if you visit :)


Sharon wrote: January 14, 2010 at 1:16 PM

I think that's a great idea, I've always wanted to take a creative writing class. Good luck :)


Anonymous wrote: January 14, 2010 at 2:54 PM

Good luck! Writing is so much fun and can be very rewarding!


Anonymous wrote: January 14, 2010 at 6:24 PM

I think that it's a great idea!!! I can't wait to read your blogs about it :)


Honey B. wrote: January 14, 2010 at 8:50 PM

I'm so glad you're taking the class! Let me know how it goes, I'm excited for you!


Holly wrote: January 14, 2010 at 10:09 PM

so exciting! Can't wait to read about your lessons! :)


Holly wrote: January 14, 2010 at 10:10 PM

That's so exciting! Can't wait to read about your lessons!


Nat wrote: January 17, 2010 at 12:20 PM

I'm so glad you have taken up one of those courses!! I hope to do it sometime in the near future... when I have more time. By the way, would you believe it has taken me practically a month to change your old blog address to the new one? I just added it to favourites and that's it. But I have gone through some early spring cleaning and have got rid of some blogs and added some other :)

Let me know how the course goes! I haven't read relatively older posts yet, but I did read the frustrating one about baby making... A lot of people say that the more you worry about it the less it happens...? And then once you relax and say: ok, that's it, I give up. It happens!! (at least it happens to me in the next case scenario: I'm 'late'! Oh my God... I'm 4 days late... I'm done for. What am I going to do now. I worry myself silly, then I talk to Boyfriend and he's like, we'll deal with it if it happens. Then I relax and probably the next day I'm not late anymore lol

Just chill, ladeeh! xxx

p.s. sorry I haven't commented in a looong long while. Have been feeling kind of down (if you have read you will know anyway :D) I promise to be better from now on :D


Confessions From A Work-At-Home Mom wrote: January 20, 2010 at 12:39 PM

Congrats on taking the initiative to sign up for that class! I always want to do stuff like that, but I lack the "oomph" to follow through.

Stopping by from Honey B's blog!

~Elizabeth
Confessions From A Working Mom


Krissi wrote: January 22, 2010 at 8:41 PM

I think it's a great idea! What a way to channel some emotions too! I loved taking Creative Writing in High School and for my masters, I actually got an MFA in Children's writing. I had David Levithan (who co-wrote "Nick and Nora's Infinite Playlist" among other brilliant YA novels) as my thesis advisor. It was the coolest thing to meet with him in his Scholastic office (where he is an editor)...of course infertility took over my life since then and I never finished my YA. Oh well, maybe some day!


Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by! :)

Twitter Goodreads RSS Email