MySpace: A Love Story

Some of you have wondered how Hubs, real name Rob, and I met.  I'm finally getting around to tell you that story.  This probably should have been one of the first things I posted about.  OOPS!  Oh well, better late than never...

Rob found me on MySpace through a mutual friend of ours.  He would tell you we met through AIM since that's where our first contact was.  He saw my screen name on my profile and saw that it was the same style as his (just our names, example: kaitlinlastname) and he also later admitted he thought I was hot, so he instant messaged me.


When he first instant messaged me I was confused and not interested.  I soon found out he had a girlfriend which was a turn off.  I'm not sure how it happened but we just continued talking to each other on AIM.

We talked all day, everyday.  We both had the Sidekick 3 so it was easy for us to talk all the time.  We had AIM at our fingertips.

A few months after we started talking, I started dating a guy I liked that just came home from being station in Virginia for the Marines.  We dated for a few months and during that time I can't remember ever talking to Rob.  I was distracted with the Marine.

The Marine eventually dumped me.  I don't know why, but I'm thankful.  He was a complete douche anyways.  Soon after Rob started talking to me again on AIM.  And it turned out he was newly single too.

We went back to talking as frequently as we had before, maybe more.  I remember waking up talking to him and falling asleep talking to him.  I talked to him at work, at the movies, hanging out with friends.  I know people were annoyed with me being on the phone chatting with him all the time, but I was slowing falling in love with him.  He listened.  He made me laugh.  He made me smile.  I could tell he cared.  Even if we were just chatting.

One night we had this conversation (this is the original conversation thanks to Rob saving it from AIM from his Sidekick):

Rob: Hey, I'm gonna ask you a question, cos I'm drunk, I wouldn't. But I'm drunk. Okay with that?
Me: okay?
Rob: You know I like you, right?
Rob: Just an e crush though :]
Me: uhm. do now, apparently.
Rob: That and I'm drunk. So yeah. ..disregard
Me: oh?
Rob: Well not to drink, but, enough.
Rob: To tell you that lol
Me: was that the question?
Me: oh. haha. feelings are reciprocated.

After this conversation a stronger relationship blossomed.

About two weeks later Rob asked me on a date, July 7th 2007.  I accepted.  He picked me up at my parents house (which is the first time and place we ever met), came in to say hello to my parents and off we went.  We went to the movies to see Transformers.

I remember being nervous and I know he was too.  I can't remember what we talked about, but it was a fun night.  I remember him putting his hand on my knee for a second and I know he was so scared to even touch me.  After the movie he dropped me off at home, gave me a hug goodnight and left.  And soon after we started talking on AIM, saying all the things we were too nervous to say in person.  It was a wonderful night and the start of our relationship. <3

At a Christmas party for my work, our first together. 2007

11 comments on "MySpace: A Love Story"

Tillie wrote: September 30, 2010 at 8:12 AM

I love y'alls story!!!! xoxo


jensays (what would jen do) wrote: September 30, 2010 at 8:44 AM

aww sweet story. nothing like a little liquid courage to tell the girl of your dreams that you're into her.


Jessa wrote: September 30, 2010 at 8:49 AM

What a sweet get together story! MySpace brought my husband I together too. Screw Match.com. LOL


Anonymous wrote: September 30, 2010 at 11:40 AM

So cute! I love reading about how people met and those awkward first days. I'm so happy you two found each other. :)


Honey B. wrote: September 30, 2010 at 3:11 PM

Aww, so cute! Marmot and I met on MySpace too, that's so funny! But we tell his family that we were neighbors...lol


Kate wrote: September 30, 2010 at 4:50 PM

Too funny. Thanks for sharing :)


Unknown wrote: September 30, 2010 at 10:27 PM

Awe, this is too cute!! That's so sweet that you remember all the little details :)


Jessica @ Wanting Adventure wrote: October 2, 2010 at 9:42 AM

Aw, so cute! I love that you have that original conversation. :)


Steph wrote: October 8, 2010 at 9:53 AM

Adorable. My husband and I are another successful myspace story. :) I was living in Arizona and he in Pittsburgh. We also have those original AIM conversations saved too. :)

2007 musta been a good AIM and myspace year! haha

New follower!
(found you from today's 5 Q Friday)


Unknown wrote: October 9, 2010 at 1:34 PM

So cute! But...am I the only person completely confused by that conversation????


Anonymous wrote: November 8, 2012 at 8:48 AM

Hey, I found you through the coffee mug swap with Natalie. So, I'm reading through your pages, and your about me and this page, and I'm going "Damn, that's just like us".

my Fiance' and I met on Myspace while I was in the post-traumatic-breakup phase and talked for months, except it was me on the phone drunk after a party telling him how I felt. Remarkably similar. lol :)

Looking forward to following along! :)


Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by! :)

Twitter Goodreads RSS Email