The Scariest Two Days of My Life

The last two days have been thee worst and scariest days of my life.

We woke up on Thursday morning only to realize that somehow our gate to our patio was opened and both of our big dogs had gone missing.  They had to leave sometime around 1-6 am.

The first thing we did was throw some shoes on and head out to look for them.

We were unsuccessful. We walked, we drove, we worried.

We went to the humane society down the street around 9:00 to see if they'd been turned in. Nothing. But I will say that is the saddest place I've ever been. They let us into their animal hospital area to check if they were in there and some of those animals just broke my heart.

Around 11:00 we were getting ready to go to the county pound, when there was a knock at our door.  It was our next door neighbor wondering that was our dog outside.  There's a bit of a language barrier, as he is middle eastern. But it turns out Kenai was standing outside our gate trying to get inside.

So we open it and pull her inside.  The first thing I did after that was run outside the gate hoping that Root Beer wasn't that far behind her. But there was nothing. So Rob and I hop in the car to drive around looking for her.  We let our neighbor know that if they saw her to just open our gate and let her inside.

We drive around and find nothing. So we came back to check on Kenai. We wanted to make sure she wasn't hurt. She had a slight limp, but we think that's just because her feet were sore from running for so long.

We kept constantly walking around looking for Root Beer. Rob went to the county pound to look for her while I stayed home, just in case she showed up at our gate like Kenai did.

Nothing. We walked more. We drove more. We worried constantly. I broke down multiple times worrying about Root Beer.  I had an ad up on Craigslist and I would constantly check it for more updates, just in case someone found her and she didn't have her collar on. I waited for Rob's phone to ring, hoping it was someone that found her and got his number from her dog tag.

Two days went by. Two days filled with nothing but worry and sadness.

Then Saturday morning, right after a shower as we were getting ready to head back to the humane society and county pound, we got THE call. The call that someone found our dog. The call that let us know Root Beer was safe. That call gave me goosebumps, just ask Rob.

We threw on whatever clothes we could grab. I was speechless. I couldn't form a coherent sentence. I was just so ecstatic about going to get my dog.

We are so lucky Root Beer wasn't harmed.  She crossed two major streets.  We seriously could have lost her. :( But we didn't!

We have all our babies back home. Safe and sound.

I just want to thank everyone for the kind words and support you shared with me on Twitter.  It really meant a lot to me. <3

7 comments on "The Scariest Two Days of My Life"

Bobbi Janay wrote: October 30, 2011 at 2:29 PM

Wow, how scary.

wallflower wrote: October 30, 2011 at 2:38 PM

Aw. I'm glad there was a happy ending. :)

Courtney wrote: October 30, 2011 at 3:58 PM

I couldn't even imagine how scary that was. So glad they are back home and safe!

Stephanie wrote: October 31, 2011 at 9:51 AM

Oh my gosh as a husky parent, I can somewhat imagine. Our girls have escaped from us before. Normally, its one shooting out the front door and we chase behind and get her. Then once they found a loose fence board and squeezed through together without us even realizing. That was terrifying. Luckily, within 30 minutes they had run back home, together. I can not begin to think about 2 days - hubs would have had to put me on tranquilizers, I would have been a mess. I'm SO HAPPY you have both your babies back home!!!

Lindsey wrote: October 31, 2011 at 3:03 PM

Dangit, this just ate my comment (sorry if you get two),
I am so sorry... I actually had to scroll down halfway through because I couldn't read fast enough to make sure that they were both ok (and to try not to cry at work).
I can't imagine what you went through!
(So sorry I'm so bad at Twitter, I rarely keep up with what is happening or I would have been checking in on you!)

Suzy, Not a Fertile Myrtle wrote: November 3, 2011 at 5:41 AM

I'm so glad Root Beer made it home safely. It looks like everyone is happy to be together again. Such a sweet picture. :)

Krysten @ Why Girls Are Weird wrote: November 13, 2011 at 7:49 PM

Oh my gosh Kaitlin, I can't even imagine how scared and worried you must have been! I know if my pup got out I would freak out. I'm glad you got them back safe and sound!

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by! :)

Twitter Goodreads RSS Email